- 1 tsp. cold water
- 1 egg white
- 1 pound large pecan halves
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. salt
- Beat water and egg white until frothy.
- Combine sugar cinnamon and salt.
- Mix egg mixture with pecans until well coated. Then add sugar mixture and stir until well mixed.
- Spread on a cookie sheet. Bake at 225° for one hour, stirring occasionally.
- This is similar to a recipe from the Pittsburgh Shoemakers (Ruth’s mother-in-law and sister-in-law).
- Variations include cutting the amount of sugar to 3/4 cup, increasing the cinnamon to 1 Tablespoon, decreasing the amount of salt, and adding a dash of nutmeg.
- For those in a hurry, 300° for 30 minutes may work, but I haven’t tried it.
Colorado Cache Cookbook (gift from Peggy to Nancy and Steve), p. 386.
Hmm, I’m trying it with 1/2 tbsp of pumpkin pie spice. We’ll see.