- 1 envelope Knox gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg yolks, beaten light
- 1 cup sugar (divided)
- 2 teaspoons grated lime peel
- 1/2 pint whipping cream, whipped
- 4 egg whites
- 20 Graham crackers, rolled fine
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Mix the crust ingredients with fingers. Press into 9″ pie plate. Chill.
- Soften gelatin in cold water.
- In top of double boiler, put beaten egg yolks, lime juice, 1/2 cup sugar, and salt.
- Cook over hot water, stirring constantly until cooked and thickened.
- Remove from heat. Add softened gelatin immediately, stirring until gelatin is dissolved.
- Stir in lime peel and then cool.
- Beat egg whites stiff. Gradually add remaining 1/2 cup sugar, beat very stiff.
- Fold gelatin mixture into beaten egg whites.
- Fold in whipped cream.
- Turn into cooled Graham cracker crust and chill.
- There’s no mention of baking the pie crust.
Lillian Davis Goucher’s recipe box.
Hmmm… I made this for tonight’s dinner – the “cooked” in step #4 wasn’t well defined so I made a guess. I either cooked it too long, or I’d suggest “cool” in step #6 means “cool on the counter for a bit” — I put it in the fridge for an hour and ended up with a mixture the consistency of silly putty … Broke it up with the mixer before combining with the egg whites and whipped cream.
Yep. Made it for Mother’s Day yesterday, but used the version from my recipe box and didn’t see this comment. While the egg/gelatin mixture wasn’t solid all the way through, it was starting to conceal and would have benefited from a run through with the mixer.