- 1/2 cup butter (not margarine), room temperature
- 1/2 cup shortening (e.g. Crisco)
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups sifted flour
- Powdered sugar (maybe half a box)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cream butter and shortening with sugar and salt.
- Add pecans and vanilla extract and mix.
- Add flour and mix well.
- Using about one teaspoon of dough at a time, shape into balls. Place balls on ungreased cookie sheet. (You can place them fairly close together, but they do swell a little in the oven.)
- Bake until lightly browned — about fifteen to twenty minutes.
- Roll while hot in powdered sugar. (Have a friend help or don’t bake too many at one time.)
- After the cookies have cooled, roll again in sugar and shake off any excess.
- If you have the patience to make the cookies this small, the recipe will make 80-90 cookies.
Ruth Goucher Shoemaker’s recipe box.
As my college roommate pointed out when her son was going through a phase — this is a vegan recipe.
Pingback: Apricot Squares | Goucher Family Recipes