- 2 oz. Bakers bitter chocolate
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons cream
- Cut chocolate into small pieces. Place in saucepan with water and heat until chocolate is melted.
- Stir in sugar, butter and cream of tartar.
- Cook to very soft ball stage – 230°.
- Remove from heat and let stand undisturbed until about lukewarm.
- Add salt and vanilla and beat until mixture about holds its shape.
- Thin with cream to proper spreading consistency.
- I put the cream in after beating a little while and add about 1/2 cup or more broken nut meatsbefore spreading.
- Sometimes it seems thin — just leave it stand until it thickens a little. It has always turned out.
via Virginia Goucher Lehman.
Recipe (including notes) in Lillian Davis Goucher’s handwriting