- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 or 2 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- about 1/2 cup milk
- vanilla or lemon flavoring
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add eggs.
- Combine dry ingredients.
- Add flour mixture alternating with milk.
- Put cherries, apples or what fruit is used in the bottom of baking pan.
- Sweeten to taste and spoon batter over the top.
- Bake at 375º about 30 minutes or until cake is done.
- Use this receipt for plum cake, but add almond flavoring to batter and 3/4 cup more flour to batter. Cut plums in two and put batter in the bottom of pan and put halved plums close together on top and sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon. Good with fresh pluns or canned plums for a change.
via Virginia Goucher Lehman
Recipe (including notes) in Lillian Davis Goucher’s handwriting