- 5 1/2 cups fresh Concord grapes
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup sifted flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 2 tablespoon butter or margarine
- Wash grapes; drain. Remove skin from each grape; set skins aside.
- Bring grape pulp to a boil, stirring. Boil 2 minutes. Press pulp through a seive to remove seeds.
- Combine sugar, flour, salt and peels. Mix with grape skins and pulp.
- Put mixture into a pastry lined 9-inch pie plate. Dot with butter.
- Put on a top crust with slits near center. Bake 40-45 minutes at 425º.
- To freeze for future, simmer the mixture from (3) for about 15 minutes, and then freeze.
- Good with vanilla ice cream — some call that a requirement.
- 2016 update with Ruth helping Nancy — she never used the citrus peel or dotted with butter.
- Your favorite pie crust is fine. Here’s the crust we use.
Ruth Goucher Shoemaker’s recipe box.
Springfield Union about 1972?