- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour + a little
- 2 teaspoons double-acting baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup butter or shortening
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon almond flavoring
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon or nutmeg
- Sift together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar into a large bowl
- Cut in butter.
- Break egg into measuring cup; add enough milk to measure 2/3 cup. Add almond flavoring and beat with fork to combine. Add to dry ingredients all at once; stir just until dough clings together in a ball.
- Knead lightly on floured pastry cloth 12 to 15 strokes. Roll out to 12 inch square or round skillet. Brush with 1 tablespoon butter and arrange halved plums on top.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar combined with cinnamon or nutmeg.
- Bake 30 minutes in a 400° oven.
- Can be baked with other fruit such as apples or peaches instead of plums
Lillian Davis Goucher’s recipe box. Newspaper “week’s prize winner” with annotations from Mrs. Hallman.
We made this last week with some supermarket plums, not the “prune plums” that grew on the tree in the Marlin Drive back yard. Used a 9×13 pan, and it worked out okay. Would love to hear from someone who remembers how Grandma made it — Mother says she doesn’t remember.